The Baughman Center is a stunning, elegant contemplation space in the heart of the University of Florida campus. Designed to bring the picturesque outdoor setting inside, the soaring windows and delicate natural materials echo the serene Florida surroundings. There’s no question why this is considered one of the most beautiful, peaceful spots in Gainesville.
The Baughman Center is open to the public for private contemplation on weekdays. It also frequently hosts private events such as weddings and memorial services.
Baughman Center Hours
The Baughman Center is open to the public for private contemplation on weekdays. On weekends, the venue is not open to the public, but is often used to host private events such as weddings and memorial services. Please be courteous and do not take pictures on the bridge or walk up to the building while event signs are posted. The parking lot is also reserved for events during these times. Your vehicle is subject to being towed if you park during an event. Thank you for your cooperation!
Baughman Center & Administration Building Hours :
Monday – Thursday: 8 am – 5:30 pm
Friday: 8 am – 5 pm
Closed: The Baughman Center is closed on all University recognized holidays and home football games. View the UF Holiday Calendar »
Contact the Baughman Center
For more information, to check availability, or to schedule a venue tour or appointment, please contact the Baughman Center Coordinator at 352.294.0049 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Baughman Center
ABOUT THE BUILDING:
The Baughman Center is a stunning, elegant contemplation space in the heart of the University of Florida campus. Designed to bring the picturesque outdoor setting inside, the soaring windows and delicate natural materials echo the serene Florida surroundings. From travertine marble floors to the hardwood paneled ceiling, this is one of the most peaceful, beautiful spots in Gainesville.
The Baughman Center is open to the public for private contemplation on weekdays. It often hosts private events such as weddings and memorial services. The facility consists of two buildings: the Baughman Center itself and a small administration building. The Baughman Center has fixed bench seating accommodating 96 people. The administrative building contains a staff office, a holding/ready room, and men and women’s restroom facilities.
The architect responsible for the Baughman Center’s design is John Zona. He is also the architect responsible for Mandi’s Chapel, located near Live Oak. In addition to being a past recipient of the Judges’ Award from Keep Alachua County Beautiful, the Baughman Center was ranked third on the Florida Architecture: 100 Years, 100 Places list published by the Florida Chapter of the American Institute of Architects.
For information about renting the Baughman Center for your event, wedding, rental policies and rates please visit the Venue Rental page or contact the Baughman Center office.
WEDDINGS AT THE BAUGHMAN CENTER:
We are always thrilled when someone considers the Baughman Center as the venue for a wedding! Anyone can be married at the Baughman Center regardless of their cultural background, faith or affiliation with the University. Our experienced and dedicated staff handles more than 100 weddings a year and is available to assist you every step of the way from your initial reservation to “I Do.” Availability is limited, so please call the Baughman Center office before finalizing your plans.
Parking spaces for patrons with disabilities are located in front of the administration building.
Wheelchair seating is available on both the left and right sides of the Baughman Center in the first and last rows. In addition, a gently sloped ramp allows guests in wheelchairs access to the stage/platform in front of the large picture window.
Restrooms in the administration building of the Baughman Center provide facilities for those with disabilities.
Directions and Parking
The Baughman Center is located at the intersection of Radio and Museum Roads, on the University of Florida campus, with convenient access from I-75 at the Archer Road or Newberry Road exits.
Parking for the Baughman Center is available near the Administration Building adjacent to the Baughman Center. Parking is limited and restricted to Baughman Center patrons and guests only. University of Florida decals are not honored. One-day passes are issued at the Baughman Center administration office in the service building adjacent to the Baughman Center. Parking passes are not required for weddings or wedding rehearsals, which are only held during hours not regulated by campus parking restrictions.
Parking spaces for patrons with disabilities are located next to the administration building and on the north side of the parking lot.
DRIVING DIRECTIONS: Please allow ample time for travel and parking prior to events.
Please Note: The Baughman Center parking entrance is just south of the intersection of Radio Road and Museum Drive. Some GPS devices will take drivers to the area of Corry Village Apartments instead of the Baughman Center. So please also use a map to supplement GPS directions (click here for a Google map).
From NW US 441
Slight right toward NW 43rd St
Continue straight onto NW 43rd St
Turn left onto NW 16th Blvd
Turn right onto NW 34th St
Turn left onto Radio Rd
From I-75 N toward Lake City
Take exit 382 for FL-121 N toward Gainesville
Turn left onto FL-121 N/FL-331 N/SE Williston Rd
Take the 1st left onto FL-121 N/SW 34th St
Turn right onto Radio Rd
From FL-24 W/NE Waldo Rd
Turn right onto State Rd 26 W/W University Ave
Turn left onto SW 13th St
Turn right onto Museum Rd
Continue straight to stay on Museum Rd
Baughman Center will be on the left
Renting the Baughman Center
The Baughman Center is available for rental for many types of events: weddings, concerts, memorial services, ceremonies, and meetings of all kinds. Anyone can use the Baughman Center for their special occasion regardless of their cultural background, faith or affiliation with the University.
Contact Us: email@example.com or 352.294.0049
- Find out if your desired date and time is available for your event by contacting the Baughman Center office via phone, email or in person. Please note that availability changes frequently.
- Contact the Baughman Center to submit a ‘Hold Request’ based on the must current availability. Once approved by the event coordinator, you will receive an email confirmation for your tentative hold date and time. The date and time will be held no more than 30 days for your party.
- After receiving confirmation of approval, you may then contact the Baughman Center to move your hold to a reservation. This will need to be completed before your 30-day hold deadline is expired.
- To complete your reservation and make it final, it is required that you make your deposit, sign/return your contract and meet with the coordinator. When you meet with the coordinator, you will go over event plans, review venue policies and take a tour of the venue.
- Final payments are due two months prior to your event.
- Payments and coordinator meetings may be completed via phone or in person. Contracting may be completed by email or fax.
- Checks or money orders may be made payable to the University of Florida. We accept VISA, MasterCard, Discover and American Express payments over the phone or in person. We do not accept credit card payments via mail, email, fax or text, nor do we do not accept cash payments.
GENERAL RENTAL INFORMATION
- Your rental includes use of the Baughman Center Parking lot, administration building (with restrooms and Ready Room), Center and surrounding grounds. The staff, grounds, parking lot and buildings are only available for contracted times.
- The services of event staff are included in your reservation fee. The event staff is primarily responsible for the set up and use of the facility and equipment. Please do not expect them to perform personal services for you. On your wedding day event staff will have any requested Baughman Center items set up according to your plans when your reservation time begins. Event staff will be on site at the Baughman Center for the entirety of your contracted time and will discourage walk-up visitors from entering the grounds.
- The Baughman Center has a minimum 2-hour rental for all events; however we recommend 3 hours for events such as weddings, to allow time to decorate, set up and break down, as this must all be completed within your rental time.
- Rates and Policies
- Initial Hold Requests and final reservations for an event can be made up to 18 months prior to the event date.
- Anyone may rent the Baughman Center regardless of their cultural background, faith or affiliation with the University.
- If your reservation must be cancelled or a change must be made, please notify the coordinator by phone or email. (Deposits are non-refundable).
- At the end of your rental, the Baughman Center must be returned to the state you found it in. All programs, silk petals, décor and large amounts of trash must be cleaned up by the party. The staff perform basic cleaning duties upon closing the facility at the end of your rental.
- If available, additional parking can be found at the bat house lot on weekends.
We want to make your event memorable. Please discuss any concerns about our restrictions with our coordinator.
- We do not book events on Gator football home games; however we do book events on Friday and Sunday the same weekend.
- We book multiple events in one day.
- Your rental time cannot be adjusted the day-of for delays.
- Deliveries, decorating, vendor set up and clean up must all take place during your designated rental time due to staffing and storage availability.
- The seated capacity is approximately 96 on the fixed benches.
- The Fire Marshall Code is 120 individuals in the building.
- The Baughman Center provides staff to attend to the facility. The day-of staff does not provide wedding coordinating services (opening doors, starting music, cuing bridal party, acting as personal assistant).
- Please book the following separately: musicians/DJs, officiants, wedding planners or day-of coordinators
- Open flames are limited to unity candles and traditional practices. The use of any open flames must be reviewed and approved by the coordinator.
- Throwing items inside/outside the venue must be approved by the coordinator, Typically confetti and similar products are not permitted. Bubbles or sparklers are encouraged instead.
- If decorating, adhesive of any kind should not be used on any part of the building. Ribbon or string may be used to hang items. Please have décor plans approved by the coordinator.
- If decorating, please plan to keep décor off of the aisle floors as they are narrow.
- Use of a professional florist is preferred. Please have floral plans approved by the coordinator.
- Flower petals placed on the floor of the Baughman Center must be silk.
- Huppas, Mandaps or other traditional wedding structures are allowed with live flowers, but must adhere to Center guidelines. Please speak with the Baughman Center coordinator for details.
- Vases full of standing water are not permitted; please use oasis and drip trays with arrangements.
- We have extremely limited storage space. Deliveries must be made during your rental time. We are unable to store décor and other supplies prior to your event.
- The Baughman Center is not equipped with a speaker system. If one is required for your event, you must make your own arrangements for rental of a microphone and/or speaker. We do have a digital piano that can amplify sounds for music.
Food and Drink
- Food and drink are not permitted in the Baughman Center.
- Exceptions are made for religious sacraments and must be approved by the coordinator.